Monday, April 27, 2009

things to do..dishes.check..laundry.check..half marathon.check

So I completed my first half marathon April 26, 2009. The OKC Memorial Marathon. Man what a wonderful venue for this race. This race was very well organized and everything was pretty smooth with not much stress. (other than the running). Parking was a breeze, pre-race check in was not confusing, the crowd was amazing, and there were about 19,000 runners participating. The starting gate was several city blocks long, and amazing site to see. Also the coolest thing was seeing all the runners climbing the first hill of the race (which there were many, contrary to many reviews I read before I entered). It was like a sea of people all trying to complete the same 13.1 or 26.2 mile trek together, way cool.

Well, I didn't finish in a time for the history books, but I think overall I was pleased. I will echo fellow blogger, oz runner, who had calf cramping as well. At mile 11.5 my calf locked up and about sent me to the ground in pain. I had to stop and stretch before continuing to run. I also stopped 1 other time between then and the finish to walk a few feet because the calf was hurting so fast. The crazy thing is about the 12.5 mile we were coming to the finish and there was so many people cheering and ringing cow bells that I looked down at my Garmin and I was finishing at like a 9 min pace, even with the pain of the calf. I just couldn't help it with the energy and excitement that was happening.

My finishing time was 2:09 and would like to try and do another half marathon before doing a complete marathon. I still want to accomplish this goal, at least before the end of 2010.

Props go out to oz runner for finishing your first half, fairweatherrunner for finishing your first full marathon, and my friend Lacy for finishing the full marathon with a time fo 3:37 and qualifying for Boston.....

goodbye for now and "run like someone is after you!!!".

3 comments:

  1. Major congrats Adam! Now you're ready to go after the full!
    -Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go Adam...those calf cramps are killer...way to fight through them...good luck on the recovery...are you doing the river run in a few weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your first half! Not sure I could have run that course in a time of 2:09, that's fantastic. I'm really awed by your friend Lacy, it was about all I could do to not die running the full and she ran it in 3:37, amazing.

    ReplyDelete